Matching Charitable Gifts Policy
March 09, 2008
The Matching Charitable Gifts policy states that the program is open to all employees and is intended to recognize and support the important work of nonprofit organizations. The program is designed to encourage and match employees’ charitable contributions to qualified organizations. It lists the eligible and ineligible organizations/donations, the minimum and maximum gifts, as well as the gift criteria.
Subject: Matching Charitable Gifts
Example of: Standard Policy
The company’s matching gift program is open to all employees and is intended to recognize and support the important work of nonprofit organizations. Our program is designed to encourage and match employees’ charitable contributions to qualified organizations.
The following organizations/donations are eligible to receive matching gifts from the company:
• Accredited educational institutions, including primary, secondary, technical and specialized schools, universities, and graduate and professional schools
• Community and civic not-for-profit organizations, e.g., Lions Club or Rotary Club
• Arts and cultural organizations, e.g., museums or libraries
• Hospitals or healthcare agencies that are not-for-profit
• Social service organizations or charitable organizations that are not-for-profit, e.g., soup kitchens, American Red Cross, American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association.
• Environmental organizations that are not-for-profit
• United Way
The following organizations/donations are not eligible to receive company matching gifts:
• Religious, political, or fraternal organizations
• Athletic booster clubs or athletic scholarships
• Gifts solely for religious payments, tuition payments, membership fees to alumni associations
• Dues to clubs, e.g., Lions Club, Rotary Club
• Subscription fees for publications
• Payments to institutions in return for benefits or services
• Gifts for the private benefit of specified individuals
Minimum and Maximum Gifts
ABC will match any qualifying gift amount of $25 or more up to $300 per year per person to an eligible organization.
To qualify for a matching gift, the employee’s gift must meet the following conditions:
• The gift must be an actual donation—not a pledge.
• The gift must be made directly to the eligible organization.
• The company matching gift form must be completed.